Saturday, March 31, 2012

Spring Quarter Interior Design Classes

Spring quarter has just begun, which means the daily question I ask and get asked is, "What classes are you taking?". So today I thought I'd tell you a little about the design classes I'm taking right now!


1) Universal Design
In a nutshell, universal design is good design for everyone. It's "the design of products and environments to be usable by all people, to the greatest extent possible, without the need for adaptation or specialized design".


At some point in this class, me and a partner will travel around campus in wheelchairs. Yep. No joke. I don't think of myself as the most coordinated person in the world...so we'll just see what happens when I'm cruising down my campus's steep hills at top speed in a wheelchair. I'll try to not cause a scene and tumble out of my chair onto the pavement. But I'll keep you posted ;) I'm excited for this class! These are the types of classes that I believe make an interior design degree necessary to be considered an interior designer over a decorator.


2) Building Construction
In this class we will study all of the aspects of construction. We'll learn things like the parts of a house (joists, framing, etc.) and how buildings are built. We'll also be building a to-scale model of a house with wood. With exacto-knives. Again with the coordination...risky business. 
3) Contemporary Design History
I've already learned a lot in this class! My mom, grandma and I were talking about different chair styles when my grandma mentioned a 'Thonet' chair. I had just learned about Thonet in class that day, so I was excited to actually know exactly what she was referring to :)

4) FCS Senior Capstone
FCS is the abbreviation for Family & Consumer Sciences, the department that interior design is under. I'm not a senior yet, but this is the only chance I have to take this class!


5) CAD 3: Photoshop
We have taken 2 consecutive quarters of CAD (AutoCad/Computer Aided Design), and now we get to take a quarter to learn about Photoshop! I'm sure this will come in handy for this little blog!
All photos via The Beauty of One

PS: I was thrilled to be featured on Hello Cotton last week! If you'd like to follow my posts over there, click here!

4 comments:

Kelly { MessyDirtyHair } said...

Sounds like a fabulous class! I wish I wouldve taken a design class in school!

Xxkelly

Maria M. said...

Your classes this semester sound so interesting! I love that they are so hands-on!

Tiffany Leigh {thedesignerlifestyle} said...

This makes me sooo excited for school next year! All your classes sound so wonderful. Good luck and have fun!
Tiffany
thedesignerlifestyle.blogspot.com

Steven Smith said...

Thank you for the information. If you own a restaurant and looking for the best interior designer then Go Big LA can help you. For the business just take marketing agency for restaurants service form them.